Monday, October 20, 2008

The Gain/The Small Loss

It's the week after Thanksgiving. A few things have been bopping around in my head today. Colette is upset because she only lost 0.4 lbs. I do feel badly for her, and she's had stresses I don't want to even think about. I've also been thinking about those who will show up at meeting tonight and will have gained or not lost what they would expect to. The fact that they'll be there is huge - it's always those who don't press the re-start button who need worrying about.

I've been thinking about 'Failure' and how it's such a vital part of overall success. I'm participating in a Goals Challenge right now and 'failure' was todays topic. Failure is an important part of overall success. Think Thomas Edison, who was called stupid by his teachers. Fred Astaire who was rejected because he was balding, couldn't act, and could only dance a little. Lucille Ball who was told she was too shy to act. What gives you the right to think you can't lose weight? The program works if you work the program.

As for small losses or gains - I've had my share. The difference? I view 'failures' as opportunities for growth. I always evaluated my small losses or gains and tried to be as honest with myself as I could. Problems in life? They don't define you. It's what you do to over-come them that matters most.

Small loss? Small gain? This is a little something acquired from Weight Watchers written by one pound of fat. I hope you enjoy.

Hello, do you know me?
If you don’t, you should.
I’m a pound of fat,
And I’m the HAPPIEST
pound of fat that you
would ever want to meet.
Want to know why?
It’s because no one ever wants to lose me;
I’m ONLY ONE POUND, just a pound!
Everyone wants to lose
three pounds, five pounds, or fifteen pounds,
but never only one.
So I just stick around
and happily keep you fat.
Then I add to myself,
ever so slyly, so that you
never seem to notice it.
That is, until I’ve grown to
ten, twenty, thirty or
even more pounds in weight.
Yes, it’s fun being ONLY
ONE POUND OF FAT,
left to do as I please.
So, when you weigh in
keep right on saying,
“Oh, I only lost one Pound.”
(As if that were such a terrible thing.)
For you see, if you do this,
you encourage others to keep me around
because they’ll think I’m not worth losing.
And, I love being around you –
your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips
and every part of you.
Happy Days!!
After all, I’m
ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT!!!

5 comments:

Deborah said...

Great inspirational post. Thanks!!

Amanda said...

I have that poem saved on my home pc. LOVE it! And so very true!!!

Juice said...

Thanks for the post - I needed that today!

Colette said...

Your right....Just "being" there means you have won! I refuse to quit!! Yes, I get down and it hurts to not see your hard work rewarded but I want this too badly to give up!!

I did the menu plan thing and the only drawl back has been it looks great on paper but if I am running late for work I don't have time to cook some eggs. So I have to settle for a banana and a 1pt english muffin!! But I will keep working on it!

Thanks again and hugs. It's nice to know others really understand and care!!

Natalie said...

agh. that is a great poem!!! i need to lose that one pound of fat and i need him to take his friends with him!

Year 2 - May 28/08-Current