Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Acquasize

Many moons ago, when I was going to Acadia University, I took an aquasize class once. Just once. The gym was wayyyy down the bottom of the hill and you had to walk by the gym to get to the pool. The gym was filled with football and hockey players - no one else ever seemed to utilize it. Why would I want to walk by this room and feel ---> <--- big (Marie used that sign the other day - love it). Anyway, I only went to the pool 2x in 2 years and never to the gym.

So, that was my experience with aquasize. The class was good, but there were other things to do than go down to the fitness centre.

Last night I participated in my second-ever aquasize class. The pool was filled with Mom's of all ages and sizes (and a Dad). Really, being in the water, no one can really see what anyone else is doing. Also, most of it is resistance, so could be a good muscle workout if you work it. We used some props, such as mini-paddles that act as weights when pushed quickly through the water. I liked it, but don't know how much I'll do of this while bobbing around with the LO. I think I'll take it again next week.

It also dawned on me that I've been struggling to get in 2.5 hrs/week activity while running around with the kids to various activities. The 9yo, for instance, has the following week, on average: 1hr Hip Hop, 1hr Jazz, 1hr Tap, 30mins swimming lessons, approx 60mins family swims, 60mins of gym classes, plus approx 45 mins everyday running around the school yard for recesses/lunches, plus after school play which often includes biking or tag. Good lord, no wonder she can consume so much junk food and still be thin! I want to be 9 again!!!

Now me (this week), 45mins ballet/hiphop, 45mins yoga, 60mins aquasize, 45mins walk. What is missing: I am doing nothing in the morning (what happened to my abs, biceps and glutes?) and I am doing nothing at noon (what happened to my 20 min lunch walks?). Yes, I'm calling me out. My classes are great, and yeah for taking the dog for a walk, but that isn't building muscle or utilizing my recesses - er, lunches. OK, walk today at lunch - sun is shining and no rain - why, oh why, did I wear high-heel boots today?

3 comments:

Swizzlepop said...

Sounds like you are doing a lot but good for you for wanting to add more in during your "recesses" ;). Do you walk alone at lunch or with a buddy? I ask because it sounds great but I'm weird about things like that alone although we have a great campus to walk around.

I say walk in your boots/heels! I do stairs everyday in 2"-4" heels. Everyone things I'm nuts but it works for me so why not :P.

I love that you called yourself out. You're doing great and totally motivating yourself and others (at least me).

Carolyn said...

Stairs would be a good idea as well to get in a good workout.

I usually avoid working out only because I don't like it. Plain and simple. I like the feeling I get when I'm done but during a workout, I'm counting down the minutes until I' done. I guess it's just one of those things that we know we HAVE to do.

noelle said...

I'm always amazed at how active my kids are, too. And it's no wonder that they can just eat and eat.

For me, I've found that walking with my neighbor "makes" me get up and do it. Otherwise it's too easy to skip it. Maybe a recess partner would help you? That's probably why it's easier to get in your classes and not do your morning ab work.

And I'm so jealous that you are taking dance classes. I LOVED ballet, but stopped in 8th grade. Maybe I need to find a chubby mama ballet class!

Year 2 - May 28/08-Current