Friday, August 17, 2007

Motivating - Who Me?

Before getting started today, I would like to clarify something that Jodi pointed out from my post yesterday. The 16 points are attributable to my weight only. The others, due to the other factors such as sitting on my butt all day and being female and all add up to 6 for a grand total of 22. Even if my points did all add up to 16, I think WW requires you to eat a minimum of 18/day. Thanks for the concern Jodi, and sorry to confuse. I also indicated that 'officially' they were 16 - I decided not to reduce them, based on our leaders advice, until I'm into the zone and see that I am not losing as much as I'd like. Right now, I think that 22/day may be too little. Considering I always use a few FPs each day, it really doesn't matter as long as I dont use too many in 1 week.

OK! Me? Motivating people IMRL to lose weight?
#1 - When my mother indicated that she was going to do WW after seeing my success, I took it with a grain of salt. She obtained information and is choosing to go it alone rather than join. I will work on trying to convince her that the meetings and being accountable are invaluable, but she joined during her 'grieving' stage after my father passed away and never lost weight. Going to the meetings is fine, but you also need to be accountable to yourself on a daily basis. I think wanting to do something is better than nothing.
#2 - I wrote a while ago about a girl that I work with who got talking about losing the 30+lbs she'd put on this past winter. She also doesn't want to 'pay' for stuff (to me, the money is so worth it - an investment that will pay off potentially in reduced drug bills in the future, but I digress) and has been asking questions. Funny, I really thought she was going to do something in May and it was just one of the things that kick started me. Anyway, I thought about it and suggested she sign up for SparksPeople. She printed off her menu and is happy. She's decided that she wants to lose 21 lbs for mid-November, and knowing that I've lost close to that in almost 3 months has given her determination. We'll see how it goes.

I really hadn't any 'friends' at my meeting - living in commuterville and commuting a lot, most people I do know around home have children at or around my 9yo's age. Everyone at meeting was very nice, though. This week, a lady from our Church joined. I'll admit I have been MIA from church since about last November (something about not wanting to hear the "Where have you been" 's and I just never got back), but it was nice to see a familiar, friendly face. I think that's why I love Steph, Colette, Dizzy, Amanda and DietCoke - going there and seeing their smiling faces gives me a sense of realism. I think I'll have to get my pic up, too - I never realized what an impact those had. I just wish I took a better picture.

3 comments:

dizzydazey said...

I know you're a motivation to me, so there's no doubt that you're motivating people IRL.

Keep up the good work - I'm so proud of you!! :o)

The Price's Wife said...

Yikes, just 22 points... I think I'd STARVE! You are doing awesome and you seriously are a motivation to me!

Sarah in AZ said...

You are doing so great! Everyone here has been such motivation to me. I don't do the WW meetings...I just have the information, and I decided to do the CP workout too.
We are accountable here, we're all in the same boat!

Year 2 - May 28/08-Current